Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Is Our Shrinking Economy, Shrinking Your Wedding Budget?



Yesterday, I came across an article on Bloomberg.com titled, "Brides Kiss Dream Weddings Goodbye as U.S. Recession Takes Over". As a planner, I know that reading anything with a title such as this one, can be intimidating and discouraging, especially for couples who have become victims of our shrinking economy.

Of course, I extend my greatest sympathy towards brides and grooms who have spent $22,000 in venue and catering expenses, only to find out that the banquet hall's owner has filled for bankruptcy, leaving them and their 250 guests, no place to celebrate. Or the brides that paid for gowns right before La Bella Sposa in Charlotte, North Carolina closed for good last June. (Brides have even formed a Facebook group called "La Bella Sposa Victims", dedicated to refunding brides "who were promised the dress of their dreams from La Bella Sposa in Charlotte, NC and were only left with a nightmare.")

If anything, the condition of this economy is teaching us planners, brides and grooms alike, is to clearly define our needs vs. our wants. Question whether we should splurge or save and most of all to be wary. Wary of vendors who may be well aware of their financial status but continue to take money for services they ultimately can't provide. Protect yourself by questioning your vendors and their services. Don't be afraid to ask for refferals or if they have liabilty insurance.

In such an unstable economy, investing in wedding insurance isn't such a bad idea. Wedsafe.com, provides ten levels of cancellation or postponement insurance ranging from $7,500 to $175,000. At this point, I encourage any bride to be safe, rather than sorry.

0 comments:

Download, Send & Print! Wedding Invitations by WPNY Made Easy! Check em out on Etsy.com!

About WPNY

My photo
New York, NY, United States
After earning my degree in Visual Merchandising and Design, I began working part-time as a freelance visual merchandiser, designing visual presentations, window displays and store layouts for small boutiques, all while working full-time as an assistant event coordinator at an NYC based public relations firm. I eventually felt I wanted to combine my creative and coordination talents and channel my energies into a different project. With my design and coordination experience I have transitioned into an amazing career as a wedding planner and designer! And it's to you, I share my thoughts, experience, advice tips, trends and suggestions from the trendsetting city of New York! And encouraging you to create the wedding of your dreams.

Subscribe

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Followers